Born in 1973 to Prof.Y.Kalyanasundaram and vocal musicianSmt.Sarada Kalyanasundaram at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala in
India, Krishnakumar started learning Carnatic music (vocal) from his mother at the age of eight..
After receiving the award of the National talent scholarship, Krishnakumar
continued the learning in a very systematic manner from late Prof.Neyyattinkara.M.K.Mohanachandran, former Head of Department of
Music at Government Women’s College, Thiruvananthapuram.
By then he also visited Chennai yearly during academic vacations and had
advanced training from Padmavibhushan Dr.M.Balamuralikrishna and
this bond of Guru – Sishya became very strong as Krishnakumar moved his
residence to Chennai
Now a popular musician in the Carnatic classical and film music circles, he is
also famous asTrivandrum Krishnakumar
The Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academi conferred the title "KALASRI" along with the
2012 on Carnatic music on both Krishnakumar and Binni.
Krishnakumar is a First-class graduate in Mathematics (1994), a First Rank with first class in both BA (1996) and MA (1998) in Music from the University of Kerala. He is also qualified to be a lecturer in Carnaticmusic according to the norms of the University Grants Commission of India. He is currently doing his Ph.D. in music at the Department of Music, University of Kerala.
|Professional status |
Krishnakumar is an ‘A’ Grade artist as recognised by the All India Radio and performs music concerts regularly at AIR, Doordarsan and other private television channels in Classical music, Light classical music and Light music.
He has performed noteworthy National, Sangeet Sammelan, South-zone hook- up programmes and ‘invited audience’ special programmes of All India Radio and remarkable Invited Audience Special concerts & Southzone Regional Satellite Network vocal concerts for Doordarsan.
|The First Concert|
Krishnakumar performed his First music concert in public at the tender age of twelve at Sri Mangala Vinayaka Temple, Vinayak Nagar, Thiruvananthapuram.
He performed his First music concert in Chennai introduced by Vidwan Sri T.V.Gopalkrishnan on the 29th December 1989 at Narada Gana Sabha, which was cosponsored by TVG’s Academy of Indian Music and Arts
|Important Concerts: |
|Has a credit of more than 1900 live concerts |
|Concerts at: |
- Sringeri in front of Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyatheertha Mahasannidhanam and Sri Sri Bharathi Theertha Sannidhanam.
- Kancheepuram in front of Sri Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamikal.
- Puttapparthi in front of Sri Sathya Sai Baba.
|Krishnakumar has performed concerts at all the major music sabhas and organizations all over India.|
| To name a few:|
- The Music Academy, Narada Gana Sabha, Krishna Gana Sabha, The Indian Fine Arts Society, TVG’s AIMA, NaadaInbam, Sruthilaya, Sarvani Sangita Sabha, The Nungambakkam Cultural Academy, The Mylapore Fine Arts Club, Thyagabrahma Gana Sabha, etc. of Chennai.
- Soorya Dance and Music Festival, Nishagandhi Dance & Music Festival & Onam Celebrations – Govt of Kerala Sri Swati Tirunal Sangita Sabha, Swati Mahotsav at Kuthiramalika, , Sree Chithra Cultural Society and Sri Chembai Memorial Trust of Trivandrum.
- NCPA, Sree Shanmukhananda Fine Arts and Sangeetha Sabha, Dombivli Fine Arts and Bharathiya Fine Arts, B R R Sabha, etc.. of Bombay.
- Bangalore Gayana Samaja, Malleswaram Sangeetha Sabha of Bangaluru
- The Music Education Trust, Swaralaya, etc. at New Delhi
|SOME NOTABLE MUSIC CONCERT TOURS TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES |
During September - October 1998, Krishnakumar
visited various cities of the UnitedStates of America and Canada for
more than twenty concerts.
During April – May 2005 – visited and performed music
concerts in more than 14
countrieson the world tour organized by SOORYA - including
Doha in the Gulf, Koln in
2009-2010 – Duo vocal Concerts with Mrs.Binni Krishnakumar at
Kualalumpur-Malaysia, Melbourne-Australia and solo concerts at Canberra-Australia.
2011 – SOORYA Theme concert
– DWAYAM - tour to
Dubai, Abudhabi & Muscat in the gulf during MAY and Kualalumpur
& Serampan in
Malaysia during JUNE
2012 – A filmi concert tour to
MAY – JUNE
|MUSIC ALBUMS, CASSETTES & CDs - AS A SINGER|
|To name a few:|
- Sakthi Ganapathim – A carnatic concert accompanied by S.Varadarajan and Srimushnam Raja Rao. (RAVI AUDIO)
- Thiruvabharanam – Ayyappan devotional songs music directed by Berny Ignatious (RANJINI CASSETTES)
- Ente Daivam – Christian devotional songs in Carnatic raagas. (CHRISTIAN LITERATURE SOCIETY)
- Rock to Ragas – Traditional Kritis in western orchestration (MAGNASOUND)
- Prashanti – Sai bhajans sung along with Smt.K.S.Chithra directed by Pandit Ramesh Narayan. (MANORAMA MUSIC)
- Rare Ragas– A carnatic concert of rare ragas with Delhi Sundarrajan, Srimushnam Rajarao and V.Suresh. (MAGNASOUND)
- Adhyatma Ramayanam – Rendition of Ezhuthachan’s Adhyatma Ramayanam kilippattu. (MANORAMA MUSIC)
- Shivam Shivamayam – Shiva Bhajans depicting Kerala Shiva Temples sung with Smt.K.S.Chithra. (MANORAMA MUSIC)
- Thyagraja Deva Bhasha Kritis - Sanskrit Kritis of Thyagaraja in classical concert style (AUDIOTRACS)
some music tracks sung by Krishnakumar http://www.hummaa.com/music/artist/krishna-kumar/17237
|AS A MUSIC COMPOSER|
Krishnakumar is a member as ‘FULL COMPOSER’ in the IndianPerforming Rights Society.
He has composed music for the Light
and sound show - “SAMAVAAKYAM” and the
Title and theme music for the world premier mega stage show “DWAYAM”
– both directed by Sri.Soorya Krishnamoorthy
Krishnakumar has composed
music for more than 30 music albums - sung by popular playback singer Padmasree
K.S.Chithra and some by himself
View the details on the list of albums and songs, music composed by KRISHNAKUMAR
|MORE ABOUT THE MUSICIAN |
Krishnakumar has sung in many Fusion music concerts and Jugalbandi with Hindustani classical music.‘Nivedyam’, ‘Anthipponvettom’ , ‘Gomati Nayakam’ (Tamil) music directed by Sri.M.Jayachandran
As a PLAYBACK SINGER - Krishnakumar has sung in the Malayalam films
‘Swaham’ directed by Shaji.N.Karun
‘Kaalachakram’ directed by Sonu Sisupal
‘Kalabham’ music directed by late Ravindran
He has sung in many professional dramas in Malayalam and various television serials - ‘Melappadam’, ‘Swantham Malootty’, ‘Sri Ayyappan’ etc…for the Doordarsan, Soorya and Asianet television channels.
The famous Malayalam film music director of the yester years – late G.Devarajan selected Krishnakumaar to present his new format of Ragam Thanam Pallavi, which is sung in six tempos – SHADKAALA PALLAVI. Krishnakumaar performed this unique classical musical form many times in the public, in the august presence of the composer himself and has won the appreciation of the connoisseurs of music. He was specially felicitated by the MACTA – Malayalam Cine Technicians Association – for the successful and impressive presentation of Shadkaala pallavi.
|Krishnakumar and his wife, Mrs.Binni Krishnakumar - a famous playback and classical singer, together perform duo vocal concerts and theme oriented special music concerts. |
|Copyright © 2013. All rights reserved|